Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Friends

Home in the fern
When we were home at Easter I observed a bird building a nest in my fern, this was very cool as the fern is right outside our guest bedroom window. We arrived back in New Mexico June 19th and low and behold there were three babies in the nest. Such fun watching them grow. I research to see what they were and found we have a family of Cassin's Finch.

The male Cassin's Finch stays in its female-like plumage during its first breeding season. It sings like an older male and may give the false impression that both sexes sing. The Cassin's Finch is an accomplished mimic, often adding the calls of other species into its own songs.

The Cassin's Finch craves salt, and is often found visiting mineral deposits on the ground. It eats: Buds, berries, fruits, seeds, and some insects.

I was very excited and I took pictures about every other day. Then one day about two weeks into this adventure; I went out to take pictures and scared my little one's and off they went. I was heart broken and feared I had forced them to leave and put them in danger. One little guy stayed under the stand and I was able to pick him up and put him in the nest. He stood next to it for several hours and then moved into it for another hour or so and then he was gone. Kevin said he hadn't seen either the mother or father all day, so perhaps it was time. Still I worried, I research the babies and found that they leave the nest in about two weeks. Such a relief for me. Now I just want to see them come visit.

Taken from inside guestroom
................Dad and mom in the tree

taken just before they flew off.
The last one to go......

No comments:

Post a Comment